What is the ICEdot Crash Sensor?
The ICEdot (In Case of Emergency) Crash Sensor is a small lightweight pod that attaches to your helmet (you can stick it or zip tie it). It pairs with an app on your phone via Low Energy Bluetooth technology.
Simply, when your helmet hits the floor it triggers an adjustable alarm on your phone. If you are unable to turn that alarm off (i.e. because you are unconscious) then it kindly gets your phone to send your GPS location to your emergency contacts via SMS text message. You tell it beforehand who are your emergency contacts.
Why do I need an ICEdot Crash Sensor?
I’m not one for selling fear. Chances are you will never have a serious accident. But if you are like me… you have a nasty habit of going off for a bike ride without telling anyone where you are going or how long you will be. Sometimes, no-one even knows I am riding my bike!
The creator of the Crash Sensor had the same habit, and he had an accident. Fortunately it wasn’t fatal but it led him to the conclusion that there should be a device that helps with this issue. He joined forces with ICEdot who have been creating ICE solutions since 2009 and together they created a kickstarter campaign that went through the roof funding wise. Here is the video from the campaign:
What do I need to use this?
You need a smartphone to run the app (the app is free). Currently supported is the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5. An Android version is coming very soon.
- Operating temperature: 0°F to 122°F (-18°C to 50°C),
- Water immersion: up to 1 meter for 30 minutes,
- Communications: Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (BLE),
- BLE range: up to 30 feet (10 meters),
- Battery technology: Rechargeable Lithium-polymer,
- Operating time: Approx. 20 hours, Standby time: Approx. 30 days ,
- Charging power USB 5 volts (USB micro-B connector),
- Charging time: Approx. 4 hours
- Buy one here from Stolen Goat